Sunday, January 27, 2013

Interview with the boss!


Upon reflection I realized pretty quickly that my day in day out communication with our superintendent is a pretty special opportunity. While I’m involved in conversations that drive the district forward, there is still plenty that I do not know. While I have a long way to go, my understanding of the school business and what it takes to lead a district  is growing each and every day. I also learned in the interview that while you are the superintendent you’re not the most important person in the district. He continued talking about students and student success more so than adults. One sometimes forget being a removed from the campus, that students are the reason we have a job. Every decision we make should be influenced by how it affects student learning. Every department, every purchase, should affect student learning in a positive way. While I have aspirations to be a superintendent, my current role is the most important to date. Curriculum and instruction is vital to becoming a quality superintendent. The superintendent I’m working under truly understands the need for a quality curriculum and instruction department. Moreover, while policy is a force that we have to reckon with, it shouldn’t be the mainstay in our decision-making process. Successful students, quality teachers, and influencing the development of your community is why one comes to work.

1 comment:

  1. Students are the most important people in the district and the reason that we have a job. Very good point.

    ReplyDelete